Journey's Birth Story

 J O U R N E Y  M A E 

N O V E M B E R  1 1 T H  2 0 1 4 

It all started Monday morning, November 10th, when I visited my midwife to have my membranes swept. After that lovely visit, my mom and I went to brunch to celebrate her birthday. After brunch we came home and I took a nap around 1:30pm and my mom went out to run some errands.

When I woke up from my nap around 2:45pm I started feeling some very-non-exciting-mild-contractions and I didn’t want to make anything of it as I've had my share of "false labor". At 4pm my contractions were 10-15 min apart. I let Derek know that things might be heating up and this could be it. 

About 30 min later my contractions started coming 3-5 min apart and were still light enough I could talk through them but they were for sure grabbing my attention at this point. I went ahead a let my birth team know where I was at to give them a heads up. By 5pm I really had to concentrate through the contractions and Derek was now on his way home from work while my mom was getting ready to take Everest off our hands. 

Derek got home at 5:30pm and the contractions were getting more intense. At this point things started to really pick up...

(Some friends & family from Texas wrote little encouragements for me to read during labor. They brought so much encouragement and strength to me. To know they were praying and we had their support meant so much us. Thank you to those that took the time to do that.)

After laboring for a few hours with Derek, I asked him to go ahead and call the midwife and doula so they could start making their way over. 

At 8pm, everyone started to arrive and contractions were pretty intense for me. My midwife, Tara, and her assistant, Emily, started setting up the birth tub in the living room while my doula, Kristin, helped me labor in the bedroom with Derek. I was super cold so I had this huge blanket over me keeping me warm. The temperature outside dropped dramatically that night and had started snowing earlier in the afternoon. Sometime during this point in labor, I got really nauseous and vomited a few times between contractions. 

At 9:26pm, Tara checked my vitals and my dilation. She told me I was 5cm dilated and asked me if I wanted her to break my bag of waters, as statistics show it reduces the length of labor by about 2 hours (on average). I told her I wanted to wait and labor a bit more and to ask me again in a little while. I don't know why but at this point I wasn't excited that I was progressing, but fearful that it would take me forever to reach full dilation. I quickly didn't have time to think as my contractions were now coming quicker and were very intense. I just had to ride each wave and take it one at a time. 

Derek wasn’t feeling well that day so when I threw up earlier, it triggered his own nausea and he had to leave the room for awhile. Poor guy. Thankfully, my doula, Kristin, was there to help me through contractions. She had me standing and leaning on our dresser to labor as it was good for gravity to help aid in the process. I then threw up again after awhile and I guess I was there for about an hour because Tara came in to check on me at 10:39pm. After breaking my bag of waters and checking dilation, she discovered that I was complete! I was fully dilated! What?! After an hour I had gone from a 5 to a 10! That's just nuts! And a huge blessing as things were pretty intense and I couldn't imagine doing that for 20+ hours. (I give total mad props to all moms who had long labors, this whole childbirth stuff ain't for the faint at heart)

At 10:44pm, Tara told me I could get into the birth tub if I wanted. So I did, and that was probably the best decision ever...the hot water felt sooo good! After starting to get the urge to push for a little bit I got a little too overheated in the tub. So I got out to cool off and started pushing outside the tub. 

I cooled off and labored outside the tub for a little bit and was ready to get back in the tub to push for real. It was around 11:24pm when the real pushing began. This was probably the hardest part for me. There was a part of me that wanted to give up, but I knew there was no going back now. It was around this time I asked Derek to pray for me as I felt I was getting too weak and I feared that I couldn’t do it. His prayer and words of encouragement are what helped me push through. (literally)

and at 12:13am on November 11th, 2014...

I gave birth to our beautiful baby girl, Journey Mae

 I T ' S   A   G I R L ! ! ! !

I think the photo below on the right is when I found out it was a girl.

Best moment and worth the wait!

Daddy holding his little girl for the first time. Melts my heart.

We just want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to our amazing birth team! Your encouragement helped me through this very intense life event. You helped me push through my fears and embrace the process. Through this process I've learned so much about myself. I didn't think I could do this. But because of your support, I felt safe and confident. Thank you for helping us obtain this birth experience and for being a part of our story and welcoming our little Journey into this world. So thank you Tara, Emily & Kristin. We couldn't have done it without your help!

B I R T H  T E A M

Midwife - Tara Stephen, Beautiful Births

Photographer - Monet Moutrie 

Doula - Kristin Donigain